Recipe – Sweet Mandarin BBQ Pork Ribs
May 16, 2020
During the circuit breaker period, I’ve found time to tidy my bedroom and managed to dig out the Sweet Mandarin Cookbook containing classic and contemporary Chinese recipes by Helen and Lisa Tse. I’ve whipped up many dishes following their recipes, but will only share my favourites. There are some hits and misses, so I’ve shortlisted my preferred recipes in the cookbook for you. Let’s take life with a slice of bacon, a slab of ham, and a rack of ribs! Check out the recipe for Sweet Mandarin BBQ Pork Ribs.
Ingredients for BBQ sauce
300ml tomato ketchup
200ml cold water
125ml red wine vinegar
300g brown sugar
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2½ teaspoons mustard powder
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Instructions for BBQ sauce
1. Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan and whisk well until the spices have distributed evenly and the sugar has dissolved.
2. Bring to a boil then remove the pan from the heat and set aside to cool.
3. Store in a sealed container in the fridge and use within 2 weeks.
Ingredients for BBQ ribs
450g rack of baby back ribs
300ml BBQ sauce (as per instructions above)
Instructions for BBQ ribs
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6.
2. Wash the ribs.
3. Cover a roasting tray with foil and lay the ribs on top.
4. Pour 3/4 of the BBQ sauce over the ribs and baste the meat on both sides.
5. Reduce the oven temperature to 150°C/fan 130°C/gas 2 and transfer the ribs to the oven to slow cook for 1 hour.
6. Increase the temperature to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6 and continue to cook for a further 25 minutes until the sauce bubbles and caramelises.
7. Remove the ribs from the oven and set aside to rest before carving.
8. Serve with a salad and the rest of the BBQ sauce.
Follow my food adventures on Instagram @lex.eatslower.